DV8, Preston Road, Brighton
- Richard Freeman DV8
- Anna Pedroza Communications and Media Consultant
- Jo Robson Albion in the Community
- Gary Newport Bexhill College
- Danny Roman Datawork Studio
- Marit Thowsen Amex
- Ally Hillier Amex
- Rose Locken London Knowledge Lab
- Katerina Ramirez London Knowledge Lab
- Sue Korman Learn Local First & Unique Brighton
- Alyn Caborn Mentoring Digital Minds
- Gill Ditch Education Business Partnership
- Bronagh Liddicoat STEM
- Daniel Hawken STEM
- Mick Beddoes Multimedia Unit @ College of Law
- Richard Vahrman Locomatrix
- Mick Landmann Vivid Interactive
Apologies: D Kelly – B Mill, Genevieve Smith-Nunes – D Stringer
Teachmeet: Booking link to be sent out by Sarah from Iris. Please send round to all key contacts so we can get even more attending this time. ( GD will send out to EBP contacts )
Smartphone Project report: This was progressing well with the students at Blatch Mill. However it was noted that there were issues related to project management. Is this something that could be taught ? There was discussion around this and it was felt that this could develop into a DEB project in its own right. ( B Mill )
Smartphone Depository: Really need to target bigger companies to gather them in. This could be raised in various communications. Also having repositories in more accessible places ? e.g like CEX
Cherokee Nation: This was progressing and links in America confirmed. Now onto next stage. ( C Newman & B Mill )
PhoneBrain/ Programming in Schools: PhD/ Masters students working on the design of a learning environment. Issue of project management skills raised again. Could DEB come up with a skeletal framework ?
DEB Monthly competition: Discussion centred around the ways to organise and promote the competitions. RV to come up with the concept.
RV Walk: Discussion centred around coming up with a project that details how Brighton & Hove Schools could link with the 12 different stopping stages of the walk. Ideas to Richard please.
Ideas for new projects to come from schools. The EBP will be doing a newsletter in the Spring and an article on the DEB would be included. This will be circulated to all school DEB contacts and other school contacts.
LWF Conference: Mick Landmann attended this and discussed some of the key points and new initiatives. e.g Mozilla Foundation and the Civic project/ Webmaker – encouraging more people to create a web page.
DEB structure: There was discussion centred around the opportunities presented by NESTA funding. If DEB were to bid for funds to develop new projects the organisation would need to adopt a more formalised set up with terms of reference etc. People willing to contribute to this to liaise with Mick directly.
Presentation – Bronagh Liddicoat and STEM
BL introduced the group to the role of STEM and how it helped local young people make more informed decisions about STEM careers ( Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths). They work with primary and secondary schools and every school in Sussex is visited annually in relation to their offer. They have a STEM ambassadors programme and they have in excess of 1100 volunteers who get a free CRB check and insurance. They also receive a fortnightly email detailing the opportunities to get involved with schools.
There is a STEM Festival planned for the Mid Sussex area on July 5th at the Hawth, Crawley. There was discussion re DEB getting involved.
- Richard Freeman from DV8 talked about the new level 3 digital/creative media apprenticeship they are developing. Anyone with any business contacts who might be interested in working with them should contact him directly.
- City Camp is taking place March 2nd/3rd/4th and provides an opportunities for cross business networking regarding city wide projects.